Saturday, January 21, 2023

What I've learned during my therapy *so far*

Last year in November I returned to therapy - mainly because of my excessive thinking. I had reached a point where my thoughts were becoming unbearable for me, and the amount of energy I was spending on not-good-enough strategies to throw out these thoughts was exceeding my energy resources. I told myself that this couldn't go on and that this was the moment to ask for help. And this was a very important and necessary decision.

W zeszłym roku w listopadzie wróciłam na terapię – głównie z powodu mojego nadmiernego myślenia. Doszłam do momentu, w którym moje myśli stawały się dla mnie nie do zniesienia, a ilość energii, którą przeznaczałam na nie do końca umiejętne wyrzucanie tych myśli, przekraczała moje zasoby energetyczne. Powiedziałam sobie, że tak nie może być i że to jest moment, żeby poprosić o pomoc. I to była bardzo ważna i potrzebna decyzja.



This is my second therapy in my life - the first allowed me to understand that what I thought was wrong with myself, was actually 100% normal and could be so. For that moment it was enough for me, so I finished the therapy. Now, as I wrote earlier, I am working on my thoughts. Overthinking is a problem. Maybe not a psychological disease, but it can make life difficult and have an influence on bad moods and various situations, hence my decision for therapy. Now I'm learning about my mistakes and thought traps, and also how to recognize them and not to get into old patterns.

To jest moja druga terapia w życiu – pierwsza pozwoliła mi zrozumieć, że to co uważałam u siebie za złe jest w 100% normalne i tak może być. Na tamten moment to było dla mnie wystarczające, więc zakończyłam terapię. Teraz, tak jak napisałam wcześniej, pracuję nad moimi myślami. Overthinking to jest problem. Może nie jednostka chorobowa, ale po prostu może utrudniać życie, co w konsekwencji prowadzi do złego samopoczucia i różnych nieciekawych sytuacji, stąd moja decyzja o terapii. Teraz poznaję moje błędy i pułapki myślowe, i uczę się jak je rozpoznać i nie dać się wciągnąć w wir dawnych schematów.




Although my therapy is not over, I have already learned a few things. Or maybe I should say that I got to know some stuff, learning how to use it in a daily basis is the next step. First of all, I learned that a thought is a thought, not a certainty. There are a lot of types of thoughts, sometimes they can frighten us, surprise us, astonish us or disgust us, but they are only creations of our mind, not reality. They aren’t emotions neither - a thought can generate emotions and some behavior, but in itself it is not an emotion. And even though they come freely to my mind I can still control them. Pushing out my thoughts from my mind is not the best strategy, because they will come back stronger, but choosing whether I want to follow them or not gives better results.

Mimo, że moja terapia się nie skończyła, to już nauczyłam się kilku rzeczy. A może raczej dowiedziałam, bo nauczenie się ich stosowania na co dzień jest kolejnym punktem programu. Przede wszystkim nauczyłam się, że myśl to myśl, a nie pewnik. Myśli są różne, czasem mogą nas przerażać, zaskoczyć, zdziwić, zniesmaczyć, ale są tylko wytworami naszego umysłu, a nie rzeczywistością. Nie są też emocjami – myśl może generować emocje i jakieś zachowania, ale sama w sobie nie jest emocją. Mimo, że myśli przychodzą bezwiednie to jednak ja mogę mieć nad nimi kontrolę. Wypieranie myśli nie jest najlepszą strategią, bo one wrócą ze zdwojoną siłą, ale już wybieranie czy chcę za nimi podążać czy nie daje lepsze skutki.




The second thing I've learned is all the thought traps I fall into automatically - catastrophizing the situation, seeing only the negatives, generalizing that if something happens to someone else, the same thing will happen to me. Even though I might appear as an optimistic person - and indeed most of the time I am – my head is full of negative scenarios and the number of them is far greater than the number of optimistic ones. My therapist always asks me to give the worst-case scenario of a given situation, then the best-case scenario, and finally the realistic one, which is somewhere in the middle. And suddenly the situation becomes... easier to understand.

Druga rzecz, której się nauczyłam, to pułapki myślowe, w które wpadam automatycznie – katastrofizacja sytuacji, dostrzeganie tylko negatywów, generalizowanie, że skoro u kogoś coś się dzieje, to mnie spotka to samo. Mimo że na zewnątrz wydaję się być pozytywną osobą – i rzeczywiście przez większość czasu tak jest – to jednak w mojej głowie ilość negatywnych scenariuszy jest zdecydowanie większa niż tych optymistycznych. Moja terapeutka zawsze prosi mnie o podanie najgorszego scenariusza danej sytuacji, później najlepszego i na końcu realnego, który wypada gdzieś pośrodku. I nagle sytuacja staje się… łatwiejsza.




And the last thing I've learned is that change needs a decision - conversations with my therapist give me the knowledge I need to change, but now it's up to me to make the decision to change what I want to change. It takes work and energy plus I need to constantly remind myself of new strategies and aids, which is not that easy. But it is doable.

Therapy is not always easy, but the fact of going to therapy is already a huge stepto your better mental health. Sending hugs to everyone - both those in therapy and those before! And to those who are after, congratulations, because you've come through a great process. Crossing fingers for all of you guys! You got this!


I ostatnia rzecz, której się nauczyłam, to to, że zmiana wymaga podjęcia decyzji – rozmowy z terapeutką dają mi wiedzę, której potrzebuję do zmiany, ale teraz to ja muszę podjąć decyzję, żeby zmienić to, co chcę zmienić. Wymaga to pracy, energii i nieustającego przypominania sobie o nowych strategiach i pomocach, nie ma tak łatwo. Ale jest to do zrobienia.

Terapia nie zawsze jest łatwa, ale sam fakt podjęcia się jej jest już ogromnym krokiem w kierunku spokojnego umysłu. Mocno ściskam wszystkich – i tych w terapii, i tych przed! A tym, którzy są po gratuluję, bo to dużo pracy i wysiłku. Trzymam za was kciuki!

with love
Basia

PS all beautiful photos taken by my sis <3

Post a Comment

© Primineers. Design by FCD.